AE agent v15 cause Remote View in Android 10 ?

AE agent v15 cause Remote View in Android 10 ?

Hi everyone,

I have around 200 Samsung A01 devices enrolled to MC. To prevent upgrade to OS 11 (in 11, RC will turn to Remote View), i applied script to block the OS update.

After that everything going fine, but unfortunately today i found out around 60 devices got upgraded AE agent 15.0.0.1110 and that cause RC function turn to Remote View only. Even though the device running on OS 10.

Is there any way to downgrade AE agent (14.5.5.1023) to all devices affected? RC function is crucial since my client use it daily to assist sales force in their daily activity.

Thanks & regards,

Randy Saputra

14 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Rafael Schäfer | posted this 22 September 2021

1. I have to say we don't see your issue, maybe it's samsung related? 

2. Instead of downgrade try to solve the issue by sending "Restart Agent" script: 

_resetfailedrcdetectionflag
restartagent

3. Did you check that the plugin is still working? (Send a command (not script) via console (Install device plugin))?

Current used Version: 15.3.3.1065

Randy, Saputra | posted this 22 September 2021

Hi Rafael,

Since RC is critical for my client, this kind of things really uncomfortable for them.

Yes pretty much is Samsung related.

I tried the restart agent script but still Remote View mode.

About the plugin, is there any Samsung plugin for AE?

Would be helpful if that plugin available, but last time i checked at soti.net/oem there is no plugin for Samsung AE agent.

Thanks & regards,

Randy Saputra

Norbert | posted this 22 September 2021

Hi,

I hit the same issue when I'm enrolling new Samsung devices (A02 and A12) using afw#mobicontrol it downloading agent version 15.0.0.1110 and none of them have got RC function, only remote view.

I'm going to raise a case with SOTI support team, because I need to hold off enrolling new devices, unless anybody could provide me with other method how to enable RC.

I have also tried script to restart/reset RC but it didn't make any difference.

Kind regards,

Norbert

Randy, Saputra | posted this 22 September 2021

Hi Norbert,

If you enroll new devices, you can try QR code method.

I think this thread can help you :

https://discussions.soti.net/thread/why-enrollment-by-afw-mobicontrol-and-qr-code-gives-different-results/ 

Make sure this part contain link to v14 agent :

android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_PACKAGE_DOWNLOAD_LOCATION=

Hope it helps. But i don't think we have script/feature control that can Disable AE agent update/upgrade (to prevent agent upgrade to v15)

Bottom line we need Support to solve this issue.

Thanks & regards,

Randy Saputra

Rafael Schäfer | posted this 23 September 2021

You can download all plugins here: https://docs.soti.net/mobicontrolagentdownloads/

But if i choose Samsung it says no plugin needed. So, this seem not to be the issue. Then i bet it's a really an agent related problem but i think you won't be able to downgrade as far as i know.

So, Soti has to fix it and provide it to you/update the agent.

Simon Breuer | posted this 23 September 2021

Your device type should provide RC with Android 10. So I guess, this could be a bug in the MC Agent.

Unfortunately you cannot downgrade the MC agent to a previous version.

Randy, Saputra | posted this 23 September 2021

I don't kow if it's a bug or the way the agent v15 work.

But i checked it and devices run with agent v14 can still do RC.

Make me thinking, when actually MC agent upgrade itself?

Because in my environment (200 devices) around 100 devices used frequently, the rest not yet distributed.

From 100, 60 got v15, 40 still v14. (estimated figure)

Wondering why some got upgraded, some not.

Rafael Schäfer | posted this 23 September 2021

Hi Randy, there are multiple factors (online/usage/...) taken effect on that.

We see the same here (related to all apps), so this is a google play store behaviour that some are updated and some not.

Ozan Acikalin | posted this 23 September 2021

I'm using different samsung devices. Legacy and AE mode. Non of my devices ever
lost the RC API after an agent upgrade.

I upgraded the device agents from my devices to 15.0.0.1110 and non of my devices lost
the RC API. My devices are running with android 10 and 11.

I have a feeling that the agent upgrade went somehow wrong..

Randy, Saputra | posted this 23 September 2021

Hi Ozan,

May i know your Samsung devices? Chances are your Samsung devices eligible for Knox.

If i am not mistaken, if the devices eligible with Knox, it won't have any problem like RC turn to RV after upgrade to OS 11 or if the AE agent upgrade to v15.

Unfortunately not every Samsung eligible with Knox, and my device belong into this category. :(

Thanks & regards,

Randy Saputra

Ozan Acikalin | posted this 23 September 2021

Hi Randy,

tested with the following devices:

• Tab S6 Lite (SM-T615/610)
  • Tab Active Pro (SM-T545)
  • S21 (SM-G991B/DS)
  • XCover 4s (SM-G398)
  • Tab A 2016 (SM-P580) -> OS 8.1

All were able to upgrade the agent to v15 and kept their RC.

Raymond Chan | posted this 24 September 2021

Full Remote Control (RC) is one of the advanced features available for selected devices using OEM specific Android+ agent or using generic Android-Enterprise device agent with AE plug-in.  On Samsung devices, most of these advanced features are supported with Knox library API's.  Samsung recently releases some low-end device models without any Knox library, and these device models are primarily targeted to non-corporate customers, and are therefore not recommended for corporate solution requiring MDM/EMM capabilities.  A list of Samsung devices supporting KNOX can be found at

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/knox-platform/supported-devices

Avoid buying any device models not on the list.

As Samsung devices seemed to be used as template devices for device-agent development due to available advanced functions offered by KNOX library API's, the generic AE device agent do not need any AE add-on for Samsung devices, while all other OEM brands/models have their partial advanced features implemented  need corresponding AE-plug-in.  For non-Samsung devices without any AE plug-in, there can only be remote-view rather than the full remote-control.

I heard that Samsung and Soti are aware of the recent Remote-Control problem related to Android 11 or later.  It is not yet known whether there will be any fix in either the device firmware or device agent.  Also, any solution offered may be model-specific or generic across all device models with certain Knox library version included.

So, if a currently deployed Samsung device supports and needs full remote-control, then do not upgrade its device firmware or AE device agent until any further information is officially announced.

Randy, Saputra | posted this 24 September 2021

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for detail explanation. 

According to your explanation, is there any way to block/prevent AE agent upgrade?

It would be helpful if there is any method/script to prevent AE agent upgrade to v15.

Regards,

Randy Saputra

Rafael Schäfer | posted this 24 September 2021

I'm not completely sure but i think if you don't have mobicontrol in managed playstore it shouldn't be able to update.

But as long as you use Zero-Touch enrollment you will definitely get everytime the newest one and not able to downgrade. 

So then you have to choose an enrollment where you can define where to get the agent and choose the old one but currently i only know such a functionality on Zebra Stage Now enrollment, don't know if there's something similar in Samsung knox.

But the best way would be to talk to soti and find a solution/fix with them instead of hanging around on outdated agents...

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback