Cannot upgrade soti agent either on Zebra MC9300 Android 10 or Honeywell CK65 Android 10

Cannot upgrade soti agent either on Zebra MC9300 Android 10 or Honeywell CK65 Android 10

Device Family Android Plus
Work Managed Device
Zebra MC9300, Honeywell CK65
Android 10
Agent Version: 14.4.0.1028

SOTI version: 15.01.1181

I don't think any profile policy is preventing this

At some point in time I would like to get all devices on the same agent version

the newest agent on a recently setup device downloaded v 14.4.6.1001

afw#mobicontrol I believe we used as the download command

10 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
JCMOD@SOTI | posted this 30 April 2021

Hi Larry,

Thank you for posting in SOTI Central,

To upgrade an Android Enterprise device you will need to set up a Managed Google Play Applications - App Catalog Rule. I will demonstrate to you the process:

Once you've set this up, then assign it to the relevant test device and you will then see the agent upgrade. Also to note, an Enterprise Binding is required for this to work. If you haven't already set one up you could use the "Reset Account" function to assign a binding to relevant AE devices.

Please mark this post as the solution if this resolves your issue. Also, feel free to reach out if you need any clarification or have any follow-up questions.

Regards,

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

Marcus Breitenthaler | posted this 04 May 2021

HI Larry,

for the Enrollment i would recommand you to generate an QR Code.

That is much faster and easier for the Enrolling (With Wifi Settings and Enrollment ID).

Honeywell -> Enterprise Provisioner -> Wizzard Enroll to MobiControl

https://hsmftp.honeywell.com/en

Zebra -> Stage Now -> Wizzard Available (only MX Version must be Known.

https://www.zebra.com/de/de/support-downloads/software/utilities/stagenow.html

Then you can generate the Rouls for the Play Store Update as the Soti Tech Support has written.

larry | posted this 16 May 2021

Thank you for the detailed support on how to upgrade my clients.

We initially setup "enterprise binding" but undone this due to the fact that directs our devices to the Internet.

Our support team didn't like the idea of our internal use production devices be connected in any way to the outside.

Can you give me any clarity when an organization has internal devices that never are required to reach out to the Internet

how we might keep their agents up to date.  I was hoping I could just let our on premises soti server push the updates to the devices and be done with, I guess not

larry | posted this 16 May 2021

I'm wondering if I could have some hybrid approach to this, such as perhaps do the enterprise binding, get all devices updated and then unbind them, does anyone ever suggest such an approach as this?

Marcus Breitenthaler | posted this 18 May 2021

Hi Larry,

for only Updating the MobiControl app to the Newest Version.

Download the Version and import hte APK in the Packages and Create then an Profile to install the new Version on the wished Devices.

larry | posted this 18 May 2021

thanks for the reply

I wonder if this method will set the soti agent to "work managed mode"?  the reason I'm asking this question

is that we first began to install the agent on these devices I installed via this approach and found out I could not remote to the device because it wasn't in work managed mode.  So we used the #afwmobicontrol during setup to download and install the agent and then remote control was available.

Matt Dermody | posted this 18 May 2021

When you enroll a device using afw#mobicontrol the exact same Android Enterprise agent that is publicly posted in the Play Store is downloaded to the device and then set as the Device Owner. The Agent needs to be Device Owner in order for it to be in Work Managed mode instead of Work Profile. If you were to navigate to the Agent in the Play Store and install it manually then it would end up in Work Profile / Profile Owner mode, even if though it is the exact same Android Enterprise agent. The enrollment method is what determines whether or not the agent will end up in Work Managed / Device Owner mode or not. 

Upgrading the agent that is already set to Device Owner will leave the agent in Device Owner mode. 

It is somewhat surprising to hear that you use afw#mobicontrol for enrollment as that requires the devices to connect to the Play Store over the internet considering your stance around further updates from Managed Play. 

Marcus Breitenthaler | posted this 18 May 2021

Hi Larry,

as Matt wrote with the #afw....

The Offline method is (i think you have GMS Devices):

1. Download the Soti Agent from Soti https://docs.soti.net/mobicontrolagentdownloads/

2. Put the APK file to an FTP /SFTP(Honeywell) / FTPS (Zebra)/ HTTP or HTTPS Server from where every Device can Download it.

3. Create an Enrollment Profile (not with the Wizzard) with Honeywell Enterprise Provisionier and Zebra Stage Now.

4. During creating the Profiles (QR Codes) for Enrolling the Device you can select the internal Place where the APK file is located, download it from there and install them on the Device fully manages (work managed) and enroll the Device in MobiControl.

5. Enroll the Device by Scanning the QR Code

Next Step is you must manually Download and Replay the APK from time to time.

For the Enrolled Devices you can Import the APK in MobiCntrol in the Packages and roll them out with an Profile to the Existing devices.

thanks for the info Matt,

during device setup, we use the #afw method before we ever deploy, so after that we only connect internally

I think we will continue to use this method on 1st install and then push the new agent via package to keep those agents updated

many thanks again....

thanks to everyone for their input

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback