Considerations while upgrading from MobiControl Cloud 14.1 to 15.2

Considerations while upgrading from MobiControl Cloud 14.1 to 15.2

Hi, my company plans to move from MobiControl Cloud 14.1 to 15.2. 

We have 250 Android Plus devices:

• Zebra TC56 running Android v6.0.1 with agent version 13.5
  • Samsung SM-G390F running Android v7.0 with agent version 13.5

What are the steps to make sure that the transition runs smoothly?

Do we need to upgrade the devices agent too?

Do we need to upgrade the devices firmware?

Do we need to re-enroll the devices?

I should note that we anyway plan to upgrade the devices firmware soon, but I see that as a separate project.

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards

Henry

• 01 December 2020
  • SOTI MobiControl
  • 4 Answers
  • 0 Upvote
  • 2 Followers
  • 1.3K Views
    • 4 Answers
    • 0 Upvote
    • 2 Followers

4 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Edgar Gomez | posted this 01 December 2020

Hello,

After you upgrade the server, devices will show a warning icon meaning that agent is out dated. You can enable the agent upgrade. Start with one device and, if everything is ok, update the rest. You would not need to upgrade device firmware.

Henry Seng | posted this 02 December 2020

Thanks for your reply Edgar, put it like that it seems quite trivial. Nothing else I should worry about?

Matt Dermody | posted this 02 December 2020

The biggest thing you are going to have to worry about is your eventual firmware upgrade on the TC56. If you upgrade those devices to Oreo then you will have to migrate them to Android Enterprise in the process as Zebra devices are forced into AE for SOTI starting at 8, despite the DA APIs still technically being available.

Normally this would involve a full factory reset and then re-enrollment as AEDO but there is at least a DA->DO migration strategy for Zebra Android devices in MobiControl now. I haven't tried it myself but Ross has according to this thread, although he has run into some challenges with the MGPA:

https://discussions.soti.net/thread/migration-from-android-device-administrator-to-android-enterprise-managed-device/

It appears that one of the requirements is to be on a minimum of Android 7 so you would actually need to upgrade to 7 first, then perform the migration to AEDO, and then upgrade to 8. Technically possible, but it is going to take a fair amount of coordination. 

JSMOD@SOTI | posted this 02 December 2020

Hi Henry,

Thank you for posting on SOTI Central.

Ultimately, you will need to open a case with SOTI Support (support@soti.net) who will process the Cloud Upgrade on your behalf, and also help with any other questions you might have regarding your environment.

For now, I recommend taking a look at this page on our help-guide regarding agent upgrades which you will do after the MobiControl upgrade: Upgrading a Device Agent (soti.net)

I would also suggest looking at our Release Notes page when when deciding which version you would like to upgrade to, considering new features and bug fixes: SOTI MobiControl Release notes | SOTI Docs

You will not need to re-enroll your devices.

Kind regards,

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. | 1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback