Custom Device Macros

Custom Device Macros

Hi I am trying to add the Serial# & Model to a lockdown screen for a Motorola MC9190 WM6.5, for Android MC33 I used the following %MODEL% %SERIALNUM% which works well but this does not work for WM6.5.

For WM6.5 I used the following below:

Hostname: %MCDEVICENAME% gives me the hostname

Serial Number: %SERIALNUM% gives me *NOSERIALNUMBER* 

Model: %MODEL% gives me %MODEL%

 

7 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Raymond, Chan | posted this 07 February 2019

I remember I did tests successfully long time ago, but I don't have any WM6.5 device now to test and verify if it still works or not.   You can in principle use some custom attributes you define yourself to solve the problem.   E.g. you can define custom attributes "SerNum" and "DevModel",  and assign appropriate values to all devices of interests.  Then, in your lockdown menu html template, use  %CustomAttr:SerNum% and %CustomAttr:DevModel%.

 

  • 0
  • 0
Support Staff | posted this 20 February 2019

Hello Jon, 

 

Thank you for requesting an answer from SOTI Support Staff.

 

I have seen this before as some of the mappings of the Macro's are not consistent as what we may consider to be a "serial number" may be different from the serial number that you are requesting.  

 

For clarification please let me know exactly what "serial number" you are seeking and if possible please provide a screen shot from the devices settings.

 

Also what version of MobiControl and its MC Agent version are you using on your device as the location may have changed from older versions.  I have reached out to our DB team members and this information will be helpful in providing you with the correct Macro for the information you require. 

 

Regards, 

 

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

  • 0
  • 0
Jon Holmes | posted this 21 February 2019

Thanks for the reply, I'm using MobiControl 14.2.0.2894, and Agent version 14.2.0.12216, on Windows Mobile devices (Motorola MC9190 and MC92N0) and Agent version ZebraMobiControl1360_1257 on Android devices (Zebra MC33 and TC51), although the Windows Mobile Devices seem to be more of the issue.

On Windows Mobile if I use:

%MCDEVICENAME%  gives me the device name / Hostname correctly

%SERIALNUM% gives *NOSERIALNUMBER* I've even tried %ESN% but gives %ESN%

%MODEL% gives %MODEL%

I've been to the following link, but a lot of the macros do not seem to work correctly on the Motorola Window Mobile Devices.

https://www.soti.net/mc/help/v14.2/en/console/other/macros.html

So all I need are the 2 yellow highlighted items in the attached image.

Hardware Details

 

  • 0
  • 0
Support Staff | posted this 21 February 2019

Thanks for updated details.   

 

This seems to be consistent with the information I received from one of our Senior Software developers regarding this issue.  He advised me that the macros for Windows CE are supported with DataLogic and Intermec devices which provide SDK to retrieve the serial number, unfortunately it doesn't support Motorola Devices.

 

Hopefully this helps.

 

Regards

 

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

  • 0
  • 0
Jon Holmes | posted this 22 February 2019

Good Day

 

Thank you for your response.  I assume with the new Zebra devices this is not the case as with the old Motorola devices.

For Zebra Android, I can retrieve the Serial# and Model without any issues.

I just have one last question, I don't understand how you can say Motorola Windows CE is not supported, when the Serial# and Model is retrieved by MobiControl, as per the image I attached and highlighted the fields in yellow. Surely from the data gathered in these fields it is possible to create a macro?

Can I not create a custom data attribute and link it to the 2 fields in question from the attached image?

Also, note, this is Windows Mobile 6.5, not Windows CE I'm referring to.

Regards

 

  • 0
  • 0
Support Staff | posted this 26 February 2019

Let me check with the developer for you. 

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

  • 0
  • 0
Support Staff | posted this 26 February 2019

His reply was that he agrees that this could be something we could consider since retrieving Hardware serial number through Macro is using a different code from retrieving hardware serial number vs when creating device snapshot. (2 ways Macros are resolved)

 

However he has confirmed that for now, retrieving that data with a Macro doesn’t work for Motorola devices.

 

He also included that we are using the MSP agent 30agent.exe to retrieve the Motorola device serial number. It cannot be retrieved if this executable is not present on the device. 

 

As this may be something you may want to see in the future, feel free to create a case at support@soti.net and request they submit a feature request for this Macro. 

  

Hope this helps,

 

 

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

  • 0
  • 0

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback