Deploy PKCS#12 certificate

Deploy PKCS#12 certificate

Hello !

I would like to deploy (manually for the moment and for testing purposes) a Certificates Profile that contains a PKCS#12 certificate (with a .p12 extension). I have the impression that this is not possible because once assigned, the profile does not deploy. It remains in a "Pending Install" status and I have an error message in the device logs : 

Error    Device configuration failed ([Certificates] Configuration failed to apply)

When I edit the profile and download the certificate provided (with .p12 extension), it downloads me a file in .cer extension. Maybe for security reasons, I don't know.

How can I deploy my p12 file on a test device ?

(MC server 14.3.3 - Android Enterprise DO)

Thank you !

7 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Simon Breuer | posted this 02 September 2019

Hi Yoan,

I found the following article:

https://discussions.soti.net/kb/cannot-install-multiple-certificate-pfx-files

Yoan R | posted this 02 September 2019

Hi Simon,

The article is pretty clear and recent ! So I guess that's still the case today.

However, I don't want to deploy a .pfx file containing several certificates, I just try to deploy a single certificate with a .p12 extension. Is this file extension supported by MobiControl ?

Thank you for your help.

Scott | posted this 03 September 2019

p12 and pfx are the same.  pfx was just the original Microsoft designation.  At this point they would be the same file.  Assuming you have only a single certificate and key in the file, it should work.  I assume the p12 file is password encrypted.  Have you verified the password specified is correct?  Enable debug logging on the device, reapply the profile and check the error to see if it provides additional detail.

Yoan R | posted this 03 September 2019

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your answer.

For the test, I confirm that no password has been specified in the .p12 file.

Also I confirm that no password was asked when I manually installed the .p12 file on the device and used it.

I deployed the profile again and retrieved the logs (logcat file) but I didn't see anything.

Just a message in the device logs on MobiControl side :

Error
Device configuration failed ([Certificates] Configuration failed to apply)

Thank you.
Matt Dermody | posted this 03 September 2019

Do you have an Authentication Profile configured? You will need that so that the certificate keystore can be initialized. 

Yoan R | posted this 04 September 2019

Hello Matt,

Yes I have an Authentication Profile deployed on the device (not in the same profile as the certificate, but yes !) 

Yoan R | posted this 20 September 2019

In the end, is that possible to deploy a single PKCS#12 (.p12) certificate via a "Certificates" profile ? Has anyone ever successfully deployed a .p12 file on a device via a "Certificates" profile ?

Thank you.

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback