Enrollment problem with client 14.4.1.1064 on server 15.1.0.3416

Enrollment problem with client 14.4.1.1064 on server 15.1.0.3416

Hi, there's a problem by enrolling new devices with Android Enterprise and the new client 14.4.1.1064 on a 15.1.0.3416 server. (a server update not possible - Windows Server 2012R2...)

No Remote Control: 

No Enterprise Binding:

11 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
JCMOD@SOTI | posted this 17 November 2020

Hi Maximilian,

Thank you for posting in SOTI Central.

This looks like an interesting issue that you're experiencing. I have reached out to you personally in order to establish a Support Case and proceed further. In the meantime, within SOTI Central. For other readers, if you experience this problem. Please Private Message me your Support Case #.

Any information that is useful, I will endeavor to share it here. However, we'll need to identify If this is not an isolated issue to Maximilian's environment first.

Kind Regards,

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

Jan Kruse | posted this 18 November 2020

Hi all,

we have the same issue with the new MobiControl agent. We use Samsung xCover Pro and Galaxy S9 devices. My Google Pixel works fine. 

I reported the issue (C00437521) but I'm afraid I got no information about the issue.

Regards,

Jan

Raymond Chan | posted this 18 November 2020

Soti agent download page has not yet updated for downloading this latest v14.4.1.1064 AE device agent.  However, one will be getting this device agent from Google Play store by default if enrolling a device with afw#mobicontrol hash-tag.

I've just got a Samsung phone successfully enrolled to my MobiControl v14.5.3 test server with this new device agent. Everything looks fine.  I can't be sure if your problem is specific to your MobiControl server version ( v15.1.0.3416 ) or related to some parameters not properly configured,

Stinus Stoumann Hoeks | posted this 18 November 2020

At JYSK we have the same issue; after enrollment there are no profiles or packages assigned.

This seems to only happen on Samsung devices running Android 10, and it seems to be caused by the new agent (14.4.1).

Mikael, IDNET | posted this 18 November 2020

Server version: 15.2.1.1094 

Enrolled true zero touch and when using the latest agent (14.4.1) you don't get any supported API's and i assume therefore no Work profile created

Android Enterprise
Android Status          Provisioned / Enabled with Managed Google Play Accounts
Enterprise Name       Unknown
Android Identity        Not Applicable
Management Type     Unknown

No profiles assigned to the device (i assume because its not recognised as AEDO)

If enrolling with 14.4.0 everything is working fine and you can also upgrade the agent to 14.4.1 as the profile then is already created.

This below seems to be related that is in the release notes for 14.4.1

MCMR-24655 The agent was unable to create a work profile on enrollment.

JCMOD@SOTI | posted this 18 November 2020

Hi,

I will detail a workaround for this problem, you’re welcome to adapt this to your environment accordingly. Ultimately, we will be specifying the previous agent version upon the AE enrollment. That will then prevent this problem until it is fixed for Work Managed Device.

Step 1 – Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.soti.mobicontrol.programmer on a Staging Device
Step 2 – Navigate to \Android\data\net.soti.mobicontrol.programmer\files\nfcprovisioning.txt on the staging device
Step 3 – Input this into the file and save:

android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_PACKAGE_NAME=net.soti.mobicontrol.androidwork
android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_PACKAGE_DOWNLOAD_LOCATION=https://downloads.soti.net/apk/AEAgent/GoogleMobiControl1440_1028.apk
android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_LEAVE_ALL_SYSTEM_APPS_ENABLED=false
android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_RESET_PROTECTION_PARAMETERS=true
android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_SKIP_ENCRYPTION=false

Step 4 - Kill the Stage Programmer app (swipe it on the recents menu), to make sure it reads the new configuration from nfcprovisioning.txt.
Step 5 – Re-open the app and input your enrollment ID (Wifi credentials are optional), then generate the QR Code.
Step 6 - The device that you want to enroll to MobiControl needs to be on the startup wizard (factory reset)
Step 7 - Tap 6 times in the same spot on the setup wizard screen to bring up the QR code scanner and scan the helper phone's QR code.

I and Maxmilian tested this setup just now. On top of that if you experience a permission related issue. Rebooting the device should do the trick.

It's not 100% clear in regards to what is affected and what isn't. However, it seems to be Samsung specific and Android 9/10.

If you experience the problem, it is encouraged to raise a Support Case and then provide the necessary logs for us to fully understand the impact of the problem and fix it in due course. Also if you have any questions regarding the above, please feel free to reach out.

Edit: The nfcprovisioning.txt formatting is not clear, ensure you input https://downloads.soti.net/apk/AEAgent/GoogleMobiControl1440_1028.apk into the android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_PACKAGE_DOWNLOAD_LOCATION row. I've attached a screenshot as an example.

Regards,

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

Stinus Stoumann Hoeks | posted this 18 November 2020

We do not use QR code enrollment, but Samsung KME.

For this, we have created a workaround; we have set up an alternative enrollment profile, which doesn't fetch the agent from Play Store (latest version) - instead we have entered this path: https://downloads.soti.net/apk/AEAgent/GoogleMobiControl1440_1028.apk

This of course requires the mentioned path to remain in existence. Please make sure, the new (faulty) version is not put on the download site, until it has been fixed.

Raymond Chan | posted this 18 November 2020

The Samsung phone that I got successfully enrolled with v14.4.1.1064 device agent is running Android 10.  So, the root cause of the problem using this agent reported by different parties here may be related to their server/policy settings or server versions. 

Gavin Wilson | posted this 18 November 2020

I have started having the same issue enrolling Samsung devices onto Mobicontrol server this week (last week the same batch of devices enrolled fine). No profiles are being deployed to the devices.

Support case C00451119 raised.

Gavin Wilson | posted this 18 November 2020

I can confirm that the staging app workaround works for me too.

JCMOD@SOTI | posted this 18 November 2020

Glad to hear the workaround is working well and also seeing other workarounds.

To add to the previous response, if you initially enroll through that QR Code method. Then upgrade the agent via Managed Google Play App Catalog, then it should upgrade to 14.4.1 without the issues above. 

You can also read the release notes for 14.4.1 agent to see if an existing issue is fixed in that version: https://docs.soti.net/soti-mobicontrol/android-agent/release-notes/v144/android-enterprise-agent-maintenance-releases/.

Regards,

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback