In-place upgrade Windows 2012 r2 to 2016 questions.

In-place upgrade Windows 2012 r2 to 2016 questions.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently running Soti Mobicontrol (version 15.0.0.6019) on a Windows 2012 r2 server. Since i manage some iOS devices i understand that i need to upgrade to 15.2.0 before 1st November. 

After reading the release notes for 15.2.0 i can see that the minimum system requirements have been updated to Windows Server 2016 and Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP2

So therefor i have choice to make:

1. Do a in-place upgrade of my current server to Windows 2016 and also upgrade from SQL Express to SQL Server 2016.

2. Create a new server (2016 or 2019) and export all current settings & DB to the new server. 

I guess the In-place upgrade is the easiest way going forward?  Anyone have any experience with In-place upgrade of the server and the knows what pitfalls i should try to avoid?

I have tried to find any information here in the Forum and also on Soti.net, but maybe i just don't looking closely enough, or there aren't any information available on this topic?

So any idea's are highly appreciated.

• 02 September 2020
  • General
  • 2 Answers
  • 0 Upvote
  • 1 Follower
  • 1.9K Views
    • 2 Answers
    • 0 Upvote
    • 1 Follower

2 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Marcus Breitenthaler | posted this 02 September 2020

HI Martin, 

i would recommand that you are do it in a Test System with 2-3 Added Devices when you try an Upgrade Process.

If you set up a new Server and move the Scanners to the new one you must set up the new Server completly New.

And for the Device moving (from server 1 to Server 2) you may need the Porfessional Service .....

What Devices do you have?

Windows Classic or WM/CE , Android and Apple

Raymond Chan | posted this 04 September 2020

Hi Martin,

You can use MS SQL 2016 SP2 Express for MobiControl  v15.2.0.

Out of the 2 approaches you mentioned,  the in-place upgrade of Windows Server and SQL Server (Express Edtion) should be comparatively easier.  However, there is always risk of breaking the system in either approach if something undesirable is performed in the process.  Making VM snapshot and full back-up at each stage of your in-place upgrade should help to avoid problem and allow possible fallback.  

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback