MCsetup.ini File Windows Mobile 6.5

MCsetup.ini File Windows Mobile 6.5

Hello Guys,

so under enrollment rules and device agent manager you can download mcsetup.ini,

my question now is how exactly do use it?

Because all provision methods dont use the file, right?

Self extracting executable has already all enrollment informations needed, same as desktop based enrollment and device agent url adress.

What am i missing?

For my usecase it would be nice to have only one Agent File and Multiple setup ini´s.

Kind Regards John

7 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
DDMOD@SOTI | posted this 31 March 2020

Hi John,

Thanks for posting your question!

The MCSetup.ini file is required to sideload the MobiControl agent onto the device. 

You can place the mcsetup.ini file on the device in the root folder like "/sdcard/" and then run the agent to install the MobiControl app on the device. The agent should auto-detect the file and enroll it to the MobiControl web-console.

Regards,

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

John Doe | posted this 01 April 2020

Where can you find the windows mobile agent to sideload?

Kind Regards John

Raymond Chan | posted this 01 April 2020

For generic Windows Mobile device agent, choose "Others" for Manufacturer in your Agent Builder Tab, and you should have option to select Windows Mobile  5.

For OEM specific Windows Mobile agent, choose the corresponding manufacturer and model supported, and there should be option(s) for different Windows Mobile version(s).  E.g. for Zebra and Honeywell devices, you can respectiviely find the following:

John Doe | posted this 01 April 2020

I dont think you understand my question.

I dont need advice on how to build an agent for windows mobile.

My Question is for what reason and how do you use the "mcsetup.ini" when the enrollment settings are embedded already in the built agent.

Kind Regards John

DDMOD@SOTI | posted this 01 April 2020

Hi John Doe,

The MCSetup.ini file contains all the instructions required to connect to the MobiControl server, package to include in the configuration etc. If the device resets, the .ini file in the persistent storage helps to reload upon reboot. 

This file is helpful if you have an agent already running on the Windows device and needs an instruction file to connect to the server or if you have any other methods of Windows CE enrollment (other than the 3 methods that you have posted on the discussion).

We highly recommend you to follow any one of the three methods for device agent installation when you are enrolling a device for the first time, as it includes the agent and ini file in it.

1. Self-extracting executable

2. Desktop based self-extracting executable

3. Device agent URL address

Also, regarding your usecase, may I know why are you planning to have only one Agent File and Multiple setup ini's? Do you have multiple environments to setup multiple ini's?  

Regards,

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

John Doe | posted this 02 April 2020

Hello DDMOD,

we want to embedded "one" agent.exe in our device image and have the mcsetup.ini be choosen from user selection in a tiny setup menu we programmed our selves, so the agent uses then again the right enrollment rule for a site. to save memory we didnt want to include 20-30 Agents for all of the different enrollment rules.

So i thought we may use one agent + mcsetup.ini for that.

Now i understood why you can download the mcsetup.ini, i think then its not possible for us and we have to include all different agents for different enrollment rules.

Kind Regards John

DDMOD@SOTI | posted this 02 April 2020

Hi John,

It would be challenging to include multiple MCsetup.ini files for one agent, because the setup files are 'Rule and Agent' specific. It is recommended to follow one of the above 3 methods mentioned for enrolling Windows device.

Regards,

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback