MobiControl 14.3.4.1087 not compatible with Agent 13.7.6.1004 ??

MobiControl 14.3.4.1087 not compatible with Agent 13.7.6.1004 ??

Hi,

so here my key datas:

MobiControl 14.3.4.1087

Agent 13.7.6.1004 on a MC330M with Android 8.1.0

Active MDM API: Work Profile, Remote View

I assign profiles to these devices but nothin will happen, with my 20 Android 7.1.2 with Agent 13.0 is everything ok.

I have no errors or something else so i dont know what to do. The only thing ist that i have a "Work Profile" on the android 8 devices

Kind Regards

8 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Raymond Chan | posted this 07 August 2019

Are you referring to Zebra MC330M devices?

What were the active MDM API's reported when you used v13.0 device agent on Android 7.1.2. ?  I guess you were using Android+ device agent in this case.  Just want to confirm.

If there is no Android+ device agent support for your device after the firmware has been upgraded to Android 8.1.0,  you have to use the Android-Enterprise device agent v13.7.6.1004.   You have to create a new set of profiles for Android-Enterprise platform for deployment to your device to see MDM policies in action.  Also, as you probably haven't factory reset your device and enrol the device properly to AE Device-Owner (Managed-Device mode) via hashtag/QR/NFC,  your device is currently in Android-Enterprise Work-Profile mode.  This mode is intended for BYOD use case, and many MDM polciies (most Feature Control, kIosk mode etc.) applicable only for Device-Owner mode will not be applicable.

Meindl Andreas | posted this 07 August 2019

Hi,

on my android 7.1.2 devices my MDM API is "Symbol MDM 4(QCT_71_7.5.8), RC+(1.16.0.100)

To the Android 8.1 devices: we try to enroll the devices with a managed google play account but i cant enter the "afw#mobicontrol" anywhere

As said in previous post, you used Android+ device agent on Android 7.

To enrol your device into AE-DO mode using afw#mobicontrol tag, you have to perform factory reset your device, and enter afw#mobicontrol when you are prompt to input your existing/new google user account.  Before doing that, you of course need to create a new Add-Devices rule with a bind Managed Google Play Account properly configured and use the enrollment ID of this rule to enrol your device.

There is no prompt for input a google user account, thats the problem

Edit: I found out that our MC33, with the part number MC330M-GI2HA2RW, is non GMS

In that case, you can try using the QR code or NFC approach.  After factory reset, choose the device language and tap on your device screen six times in a row.  Then use a provisioning Android device that has the MobiControl Stage programmer app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.soti.mobicontrol.programmer) running with required Enrollment ID and other settings configured to try your enrollment.

If your device does not support Managed Google Play account, remember to modify your AE add-devices rule to skip google play account initialization during enrollment.

After Factory Reset i cant choose the language. I get the "Zebra Data Services" which i can enable/disable. 

So we created now a QR Code with Stage Programmer but when we tap 6 times on the same spot the camera is not starting so we cant scan the QR code. 

kind regards

Matt Dermody | posted this 07 August 2019

If the devices have to be updated to Oreo you have two options:

Convert to GMS

If the MC33s are covered under a maintenance plan with Zebra then you can download the firmware to switch them from AOSP to GMS. Once on GMS you can use any of the Google methods for AEDO (NFC, QR, ZTE, or DPC identifier) or the 5th option of Zebra StageNow. 

StageNow on AOSP

If you stick with AOSP your best bet is to use the StageNow method for DO based enrollment. The DO APIs technically exist in AOSP but there are generally no mechanisms for leveraging them because all of the default methods rely on the Google Setup Wizard in some form. Zebra provides an option however of installing a SOTI agent and setting it as DO. 

Alternatively, if you can downgrade to Nougat and standardize on that, you can continue to use DA as you have been with Android+

Meindl Andreas | posted this 08 August 2019

Hi Matt,

we tried to enroll with StageNow. Everything is working instead to set the DO. We have no clue how the json file should look like.

We find also nothing on google etc with examples for a android json file

Kind Regards

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback