MobiControl 14.3: No longer able to update Profile packages

MobiControl 14.3: No longer able to update Profile packages

The latest MobiControl 14.3 is no longer saving changes to existing Profiles.

I uploaded a new Package (let's say version 2.0) then modified the Profile's Package assignment to the latest version and hit "Save & Assign". At the Save & Assign window, I basically hit the save button to keep the previously selected groups. The new UI's Profile page then shows me an older version "1.2", and the changes I applied were not actually saved (confirmed by revisiting the old UI's Profile window). Reopening the Profile's list of Packages shows me the previously selected Package version "1.5" when I had in fact chosen "2.0".

Simply choosing "Save" instead of "Save & Assign" makes no difference.

Deleting the older package "1.2" does not help; the new UI still thinks I have selected "1.2" while the old UI shows "1.5".

Now before you tell me "just create a new Profile"... I have some bad news for you.

The same problem is replicated when creating a brand new Profile with a single Package. I select the latest version (2.0) and the new UI shows me the older version available (e.g. 1.3, since I deleted "1.2" before).

And yes, I cleared my browser cache, cookies, the kitchen sink, etc.

MobiControl 14.3 also stopped supporting RSA-PSS certificate signatures (this was fixed in 14.1.x and is broken again!) resulting me to re-generate SHA2 certificates.

So yeah, probably a good idea to postpone updating to the latest and greatest until these issues are sorted.

Side note: the new Profile and Package UI reduces productivity quite a bit. Takes more clicks and more pop-up windows to delete packages. Was this "improvement" actually necessary?

14 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Matt Dermody | posted this 26 February 2019

Phew, glad I didnt upgrade yet! I was pretty excited by the number of new features that were a part of this release but I'm not willing to lose that feature in exchange for the new ones!

Jason Klotz | posted this 26 February 2019

Yea I waited as well. Normally I wont go up until I see a revision come thru. 

Saro | posted this 27 February 2019

I've discovered a workaround to my problem.

I manage my device configurations with separate Profiles: one for settings (WiFi, APN, passwords, etc) and one for Packages. I keep the Profiles separate to keep a "base configuration" across all devices and allow flexibility when it comes to updating packages across several groups.

If a Profile only has Packages listed and nothing else, MobiControl 14.3 fails to save any of my changes. The Profile version does not increase, and a draft is not created either.

As soon as I added a bogus Bookmark configuration and then changed the deployed Package version, my changes were successfully saved. Further changes to the Profile's Packages are saved, as long as a bogus configuration entry is present.

This is definitely a MobiControl bug that seems to have been missed by the developers.

Support Staff | posted this 08 March 2019

Hello Saro, 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Have you created a case for this already?

If not please contact us at Support@soti.net so that we can investigate the issue and if necessary put in a request to have it fixed, please.

If possible send me a private message with your case number so that I can follow the case. 

Regards,

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

Karim A. | posted this 08 March 2019

Hello Saro, 

This was an interesting find. 

Luckily, I was able to reproduce this on my local environment and found that the culprit is the Grammarly extension. 

As soon as it was deactivated, the profiles dialog began to render the profile configuration form without any issues. 

We are working on identifying the conflict between MC and the extension. 

Please note that other extensions may cause issues as well. 

Matt Dermody | posted this 08 March 2019

Wow, nice find! So you're saying that I can install 14.3 now? ;)

Saro | posted this 08 March 2019

Hi, which one of the issues were you able to reproduce? I have mentioned two (2) so far: unable to save Profiles, and incorrectly displayed Package version numbers.

To clarify:

• I am NOT able to save Profiles with only Packages.
  • I am able to save Profiles with Packages when a Configuration entry is also present in the Profile.
  • The Package version numbers displayed in the new UI are incorrect, no matter if I am able to update/save the Profile or not.

There are no page-modifying extensions present. I have tried the following browsers: Chrome, Edge, and IE 11.

EDIT: I have also tried updating the package directly on the MobiControl server without success. I have even tried different administrative user accounts. Creating a new Profile makes no difference; I just can't save Profiles when only Packages are listed. MobiControl 14.3 wants a Configuration entry present for it to understand that a revision was taken place and save the changes to the database.

Karim A. | posted this 09 March 2019

Thank you for the clarification. It was definitely a coincidence, which was a result of a misunderstanding.  

We should definitely dig deeper into the issue which you are facing in your environment. 

Diemert Gabriel | posted this 28 March 2019

Same problem with packages on 14.3. Can support staff please give somes informations about a patch release date ?

Owen | posted this 01 April 2019

Thank for the work around. Just ran into the all package profiles not saving the changes unless I added some other form of policy. Also displaying the wrong version number as well. I hope we get a patch soon.

Jason Klotz | posted this 03 April 2019

Looks like this made it into 14.3.1.1189 which was released yesterday:

MCMR-17629 When a package in a profile was updated with a new version, the package version displayed in the profile does not match the actual version of the package
Matt Dermody | posted this 03 April 2019

Awesome! Might actually give 14.3 a shot now. 

John Aiston | posted this 04 April 2019

great, gonna install that to test server today and see if it works.

Saro | posted this 04 April 2019

Yup, I can confirm the problem was fixed in the recent update.

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback