Prevent / Disable Android 11 Update

Prevent / Disable Android 11 Update

Hi everyone,

Currently i deploy around 200 A01 device for my client, and i just found out that after 2 device update to Android 11, we no longer can Remote Control the device (A01 not supported by Knox, only ELM). We can only do Remote View.

Since RC is integral feature for my client, is there a proper way to prevent or completely disable Update in Samsung A01 device?

Currently i se postpone feature in Profile to prevent update, but the postpone option only can postpone for 60 days.

Any help is welcome :)

Thanks & regards,

Randy Saputra

7 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Raymond Chan | posted this 21 July 2021

The usual trick I recommend is to configure the daily update window to be only the shortest possible period of 1-minute, so short that no firmware upgrade can even get started.

Chris R. | posted this 21 July 2021

If you push out a Profile with the "Allow OS Upgrade" Feature Control disabled, that should prevent any OTA updates to the device.

Randy, Saputra | posted this 22 July 2021

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding. Could you tell me which to find that feature? I se work managed for my devices, and i can't find that option.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks & regards,

Randy Saputra

Chris R. | posted this 22 July 2021

Randy,

Sorry about that.  It looks like that Feature Control is not available for Android Enterprise enrollment, just Android Classic.

Joao Nelson Cavezale de la Torre | posted this 22 September 2021

Hello.

We have faced same issue on some customers.

The solution.for Samsung devices only,  is bit pricely (around US$30 per device per year)

You may control when and which samsung update to apply the device by installing Knox E-FOTA.

Rafael Schäfer | posted this 23 September 2021

Or you could just add multiple freeze periods for OTA in an update policy profile (postponed, max. 90days each) as long as the A11 Samsung problem is there (Raymonds solution is interesting as well^^). And i would, as just said from Chris, additional untick "Allow OS Update" in feature control.

This costs no money and you can assign that with the filters only to samsung devices.

But be sure: All new enrolled devices will get the update during enrollment, if you enroll with ZT because you need the internet connection and so you can't go around that.

Current used Version: 15.3.3.1065

Raymond Chan | posted this 24 September 2021

If MobiControl server is a bit outdated with no ""Allow OS Upgrade" option in the Android-Enterprise Feature-Control profile payload, one can always try sending the script

writesecureprofstring DeviceFeature   BlockOsUpgrade  1

apply featurecontrol

to achieve the same effect.   This should be supported for Samsung devices with KNOX library included in the device firmware.

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback