Previously used Android 8 device factory reset

Previously used Android 8 device factory reset

Hi

I am trying to factory reset an Android 8 device (2 actually - a Samsung XCover4 and a Samsung Tab Active 2) which previously had email accounts on them.  After the factory reset it wants us to put in the previous user's email when I would normally enter afw#mobicontrol.   As a result we cannot re-enrol the device back onto MobiControl

How do we force a reset so is does not need the previous user's email account?

Thanks

Eddie

4 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Matt Dermody | posted this 28 November 2018

Fairly certain that is Google's Factory Reset Protection at work. You would need to remove the end user accounts before executing the Factory Reset process. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/frp/

Eddie | posted this 28 November 2018

Thanks Matt.

I'm going to pass this via our mobile network provider (who we purchased them from) to see if they can help in this case.

Raymond Chan | posted this 28 November 2018

Mobile operator cannot handle this.

You have to go to Samsung service centre, show them official receipt that you own the device, and they can reset the device for you.  If you can't show any proof of device ownership, their global corporate policy does not allow them to reset it, as the factory reset protection mechanism is meant for device theft deterrence first required by laws in the state of California years ago.

Eddie | posted this 28 November 2018

Thanks for that clarification Raymond.

<sigh> :)

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback