Remote control issue RC error Enterprise 4.1

Remote control issue RC error Enterprise 4.1

Hi, 

We have been using a HP Engage device running android  without any issues for the past 12 months and we upgraded to Soti 15.2.3 2 weeks ago and now when we try to RC the device the button is missing. all the other devices are fine but this device is an issue.  We check the API and it says RC Error Enterprise 4.1

We have tried 

_resetfailedrcdetectionflag

restartagent

also 

retryrcdetection

I even tried rolling back our server to 3 weeks ago to see if this is a Soti server upgrade issue and problem is still there so this seems to be either a device or agent issue.
This is the Agent details 
Device family Android Plus
OS 8.1
Agent verison 13.7.0.1031
Android APU Level 27
RC version 1.15.3.109

If anyone can help that would be amazing.  

6 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Raymond Chan | posted this 25 November 2020

What was your server version before upgrading to v15.2.3.2?

You seem to have never tried using remote-control session on the device before the upgrade.  Am I right?  Or have you previously done any test to confirm that RC session with the current HP v13.7.0 device agent is OK?

It is possible that the HP v13.7.0 Android+ device agent is not compatible with both server versions you have been using.  Sometimes, an upgrade/patching of the firmware may deem the RC not working any more.   If you have many such HP devices needing remote-control session functional, maybe it's worth the time and effort to further investigate.  

Paul Boon | posted this 25 November 2020

HI thanks for the reply.  

We was on 15.02

We have tried to roll back the server itself to 15.02 but i think this must update the device in some way to allow the RC to work so rolling back to 15.02 didnt do anything it shows the same error in the device pane.  We only have a single device of this model at the moment as all other different maniufacturer devices are working without any issues so i think this must be a local device or Agent issue in some way as the server side seems to be fine with every other device. 

We didnt try the RC feature on the new version of Soti 15.2.3 on this specific device as we thought this was no issues with other devices which was a mistake on our part.   We had no problems with RC on 15.0.2 as we used this for serious testing and was fine for about 4 months then we was advised to upgrade our server to 15.2.3

In general, most RC related problems are related to  compatibility of MobiControl device agent with the device firmware, or to  bug(s) in the device firmware itself.

If you have tested that the device RC is working with the same device agent, then I couldn't think of any reason why it fail now after you have restored the server back to the previous version.   Could you check if there has been any firmware upgrade/patching done in these 4 months?

Frankly speaking,  v13.7.0 device agent is a bit old compared to the v15.x MobiControl server versions you are using.   What are the device agent version & build numbers for your other devices?  Are they also v13.x?

In general, most RC related problems are related to  compatibility of MobiControl device agent with the device firmware, or to  bug(s) in the device firmware itself.

If you have tested that the device RC is working with the same device agent, then I couldn't think of any reason why it fail now after you have restored the server back to the previous version.   Could you check if there has been any firmware upgrade/patching done in these 4 months?

Frankly speaking,  v13.7.0 device agent is a bit old compared to the v15.x MobiControl server versions you are using.   What are the device agent version & build numbers for your other devices?  Are they also v13.x?

HI 

thanks again,  The devices we are using are different manufacturers like datalogic and Samsung and these are all working as expected and we have had no issues before and after upgrade of server.  The HP device has not had any firmware updates or changes in the last 4 months from our knowledge unless Soti or the applicaitons we have deployed have done this, the only change is to Soti Console from 15.0.2 to 15.2.3  we are contacting HP in relation to this but Soti doesn't have a newer Mobicontrol agent for the HP device we have which is why we have this problem. 

We have tried to work out why this has happend and we think this is a device/agent issue in some way as even an older version of Soti and enrolling into that server as well we still cannot remote control it. 

HI Raymond, 

just so you are aware i seem to have resolved the issue.  I appreciate your efforts and the advice you gave.  I run the following script 

__switch ENTERPRISE_41 VIRTUAL_DISPLAY

_resetfailedrcdetectionflag

restartagent

then i run retryrcdetection and it started to work again.  The API says RC Virtual Display Enterprise 4.1 now but it allows us to remote the device from web and legacy and works as it should.  

Thanks 

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback