Remote control on Samsung Galaxy Note 9?

Remote control on Samsung Galaxy Note 9?

I have deployed Samsung Galaxy Note phones for several years now, starting with Note 4 and now we have a handful of Note 9s in the field (we do equipment delivery, so I don't need the latest and greatest).

I've noticed that when I click the Remote Control function in MobiControl's web interface, I can only view a Note 9s screen. I cannot actually interact with the screen as I did on Note 4-8. I can click the Home, Lock, etc. buttons at the bottom of the remote control interface, but anything "on-screen" does not respond to my mouse movements.

These phones are geographically distributed, so I can't bring them in-house to make any config updates; only push out new updates from the Mobi console.

How can I remote control my Note 9s? Is this just something that I have to give up on Note 9 and newer phones?

• Agent Version 14.5.5.1023
  • Android 10
  • Note 9 SM-N960U

4 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Raymond Chan | posted this 15 October 2021

According to Samsung online documentation,  Note 9 (SM-N960U) device has KNOX v3.4.1 libraries included in the device firmware, and should therefore support ELM and remote-control feature.  

If the "Supported APIs" field reported on your mobiControl device agent or web-console does not include "Samsung RC v#,##", then use your web-console to send the following script command to the device until the required API has been detected and reported:

retryrcdetection 

Regarding your question about remote-control support on newer Samsung devices, you can check the on-line web page https://www.samsungknox.com/en/knox-platform/supported-devices to confirm the KNOX library version included in specific device model.  This KNOX library support information can also be verified by looking into the software version tab of the device's Settings app.  Any Samsung device model (esp. those running Andorid 11 or later) without KNOX library will only support remote-view rather than full remote-control using Android-Enterprise device agents. 

Adam Wickliffe | posted this 15 October 2021

@Raymond, thanks for the info. Here is what's in the "Supported API" string on these units: SamsungMdmV57, Samsung RC v1, 839.

It seems actually, that something otherwise nefarious is occurring here. I am able to pull down. on the top of the screen to show the control center, but may clicks are not aligning with the clicks on the screen itself. I've tried this with different browsers to eliminate browser shenanigans. 

This weirdness is only happening on the Note 9s though. Note 5-8s are behaving properly.

Raymond Chan | posted this 15 October 2021

So, the RC API detection is OK.

I believe if you start an  html5 remote-control session, you can press the standard hardware keys (power, volume+/-, back, home, etc.) with the hardware key menu. 

If your clicks on the virtual screen do not seem to align properly, the problem is likely related to the device skin (wrong screen resolution and/or orientation), and sometimes to firmware bugs   For wrong orientation problem due to skin,  the likely fix is to use  "writeprivateprofstring RcOrientationFix" script command with proper arguments.

Adam Wickliffe | posted this 15 October 2021

I'll look into this script command. 

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback