Update from 15.0.1 to 15.24 On Premise

Update from 15.0.1 to 15.24 On Premise

Looks like our v15.01 has sql express 2014

the newer version according to docs comes bundled with sql server 2016 express

Does anyone know if this will upgrade the sql properly from 2014 to 2016?

I don't want to break anything during the upgrade process

I'm wondering if another solution would be to ugrade sql first and then run the installer?

we have some older windows mobile devices, looks like they are still suppose to work with the newer version

Thanks in Advance

7 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Raymond Chan | posted this 18 January 2021

When upgrading from an existing implementation using an old database server, you have to manually upgrade your old MS-SQL server with Microsoft free/built-in utility (e.g. Microsoft SQL Management Studio) before upgrading the MobiControl server.  

larry | posted this 19 January 2021

I have Microsoft SQL Management Studio installed and have used that for backup up the database but didn't know you could use to upgrade a database

Do you have any articles about that or is it really simple

I was thinking of just running the SQL express installer and trying to get it to upgrade the database I currently have

I will try to google for some articles

are there any "gottcha's I need to be aware of or that you have run into

thanks

Larry

I found this method:

To Upgrade a Database by Using Detach and Attach

looks like it might be over my head though

I found a pretty good article about upgrading sql on a SCCM server

https://www.prajwaldesai.com/sccm-sql-server-upgrade/

It's the full sql but should be similiar approach I am guessing

Raymond Chan | posted this 20 January 2021

There are just too many variations depending on a specific implementation.  Just look into MS SQL documentation and support web-site, and there are plenty of articles to give you details on how to do it.  Make sure you take VM snapshot and/or other full system back up before you experiment with it, just in case you break something.

As I am not from Soti and you are not my customer,  I rather not say too much just in case you miss or misunderstand something and break your implementation.

For my cases, I personally use "Backup" in the old SQL server to create the FULL database backup file .bak , and "Restore" in the new SQL server.

Jorge Hussni - SAFIRA Telecom | posted this 22 January 2021

Hello Harry,

We do this type of activity for our clients in Brazil. We have to work with the on premise business model to compete with local players who practice MDM license prices, sometimes around U $ 0.20 with cloud hosting.

I needed to understand your scenario first. But from the information in your first post I recommend taking a snapshot of the machines or the machine if you are running SQL in conjunction with DS and MS. Make a new machine putting this snapshot for you to work, you will have your disaster recovery scenario ready.

Then you can work with the SQL Express update first, with it running, leave 2-4 days running or the time required for most devices to connect to the server again and you can check everything is right, then continue always taking snapshots / backups and proceed to the update of MobiControl in the version you desire.

Mading a ready scenario for disaster recovery in all actions is the most important thing, we have a rollback history with more than a week successfully executed.

However, if you have to recreate the Windows machine to perform this activity, it becomes a migration and this becomes a little more complicated, with points that involve sanitizing the database, transferring certificates and other points to successfully complete the activity. migration.

Jorge Hussni Innovation Manager Soluções & Tecnologia Gestão de Mobilidade Corporativa, Telecom & TI Rua Alvorada, 1289 conj. 404 - Vila Olímpia São Paulo - SP - CEP: 04550-004 T: (11) 4328-7378 C: (11) 975 721 349 E: jhussni@safirast.com Novo Email! www.safirast.com Novo Site!

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback