Upgrade 7.1.2 to 8.1 - Remote View only

Upgrade 7.1.2 to 8.1 - Remote View only

Good afternoon,

We have several TC56s that are running Android 7.1.2 and we intend on trying to upgrade them to 8.1. I was testing this process by deploying the Zebra provided ZIP files and was successfully able to update these devices. The only problem is after the update Remote View is the only option when attempting to remote into these devices. The remote view does not work and only shows a black screen.

What I have attempted so far:

1. Deploying the MobiControl Device Agent detailed in this article below. I get [Failed to Install (File I/O Error)] as an error. Our devices were enrolled as Work Managed Devices as well.

https://discussions.soti.net/thread/why-the-device-is-showing-just-the-option-remote-view/

2. This other article actually closely resembles the issues I am having but I have the device out of any sort of profile that enforces Kiosk or app permissions.

https://discussions.soti.net/thread/android-8-remotecontrol

3. I was testing on devices that I had at a nearby location and the only way I have been able to get them to work is by completely deleting the device out of MobiControl and enrolling from scratch. This allows the devices to work on Remote Control properly. The only problem with this method is we have several devices that are states away so having to completely re-enroll all of them would be incredibly difficult. That is why I am posting here to see if there are any other options.

Please let me know if you require any more information regarding this issue and I appreciate any sort of assistance I am given in advance.

Thank you!

James Pike

13 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Rafael Schäfer | posted this 17 September 2021

Do you install the plugin for Zebra? Check that by trying to install it manually to the device via console (there's a command in the menu).

Even try to restart the agent via script, may also help.

James Pike | posted this 17 September 2021

_resetfailedrcdetectionflag
restartagent

retryrcdetection

I have attempted running the above commands to no success. As for the specific Zebra plugin, could you elaborate? I am not familiar with the plugin they would provide that could possibly fix this issue.

Rafael Schäfer | posted this 21 September 2021

It depends on which Soti Verison you are using, i think but there should be a command when you click the device in the command menu which says "install device plugin". Or you can perovide the plugin you need via package. You can download them here:

https://docs.soti.net/mobicontrolagentdownloads/

James Pike | posted this 21 September 2021

I attempted this using a device profile and I get [Failed to Install (File I/O Error)]. I tried both the packages made for Android N & M and also the ones for Android Oreo but both of them fail.

ZPMOD@SOTI | posted this 25 October 2021

Hello James Pike, 

Thank you for requesting a response from SOTI Support Staff.  

Can you please confirm if the device is enrolled VIA Android +/Classic or Android Enterprise and let us know what version of MobiControl you are on and what agent version you are using.

This way I can check to see if this issue has been reported recently and/or troubleshoot your circumstances better.

Regards,  

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

Kind Regards, Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

James Pike | posted this 25 October 2021

Enrolled in Android Enterprise, MobiControl Version 14.1.6.1113 and Agent Version is most recent (15.0.1.1051)

Rafael Schäfer | posted this 26 October 2021

Did you factory reset  and rerollout the devices you updated?

It should be necessary because of DO and DA mode.

James Pike | posted this 26 October 2021

What is DO/DA Mode?

Yes if I factory reset and re-enroll the devices, they start working. The only problem is that we have 400 handheld devices scattered around 10 states so I was trying to find out a way to do this remotely without having to have all the handhelds shipped back.

ZPMOD@SOTI | posted this 26 October 2021

Hello James Pike, 

Thanks for the information.

DO = Device Owner

DA = Device Admin

If the devices were enrolled as A+/Classic they would have been DA and with Zebra devices running 8.1 or up they require Android Enterprise Deice Owner enrollment (AEDO)  

A reset would have been needed or with MC v14.4.5+ a Zebra Migration.

Since before and after the OS upgrade the devices are AE, the plugin you tried would be needed. Try disabling any Feature Control or Lockdown being applied to a device to see if that helps installing the package and then using the same script you tried.

Kind Regards, Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

ZPMOD@SOTI | posted this 4 weeks ago

Hello James Pike, 

Following up on this post to see if you're still having issues. 

It seems you need the Zebra plugin for Oreo and above, were you able to get the package installed with the suggestion I previous made?

Something that may be occurring is you already have the older plugin installed on the device and need to remove it first as well.

Also some details may further help from the device details page:

Agent Version:

Plugin Version:

Remote Control Version:

OEM Version:

Supported APIs:

James Pike | posted this 4 weeks ago

I have seen others recommend removing the old software first. Would I just remove the package that is pushing the old version to the device and that would consider it uninstalled or are there further steps I can take to make sure it is fully removed?

Below is a device that I have not attempted to upgrade yet because I know it will not allow us to support the handheld afterwards. From this point, I would attempt to take it from it's current OEM version to TC56 02-32-04.00-OG-U20-STD. Past that point, I would no longer be able to remote into the device and will only ever get a Failed to Install (File I/O Error) no matter which plugin I use.

Agent Version: 15.0.1.1051
Plugin Version: Where would I see this? I believe it is 1.16.10 but I do not know where to look on the device for this.
Remote Control Version: 1.18.2.100
OEM Version: 01-01-49-NG-00-U09-STD
Supported APIs: RC+, Work Managed Device, Android Zebra EMDK, 1305

ZPMOD@SOTI | posted this 3 weeks ago

Hello James Pike,

If you have a package for the plugin applied prior to upgrading. 

Uninstalling said package should uninstall the plugin. 

Unless you use Assignment Options 

Assignment > options > Package Options

Store packages persistently > this would leave the package installed if enabled  

Uninstall Contents after profile Revocation/deletion > this is on by default, but off may not uninstall the package.

The plugin version if installed should show in your device details

Between Network SSID and Android AP Level 

But Uninstalling the package, reinstalling post OS update should work. 

May have to apply the script:

_resetfailedrcdetectionflag
restartagent

retryrcdetection

You could also use the script uninstall like uninstall com.google.maps to remove the old plugin

For devices post OS update you have lost control, maybe remove any packages for the plugins then use uninstall script.

restart the device, apply remote plugin for oreo

ZPMOD@SOTI | posted this 2 weeks ago

Hello James Pike,

Are you still having issues?

If you've followed all the suggested steps. I would suggest opening a SOTI Support case for further investigation into you issue via email Support@soti.net  

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback