What is supervising an IOS device mean? How to supervise.
Supervising an Iphone or ipad gives more control to an administrator of an organization to have more control over these devices. Supervision mode is more commonly used in the case of company / organization owned devices as it requires Factory resetting the device in the process to make it supervised.
Below are some of the features which you can control if the devices is supervised : -
1.) Enable Lost Mode on device.
2.) Single app mode
3.) Configure Airprint
4.) Web content filter
5.) Configure http proxy
6.) Enable Activation lock
7.) Disable App store app installations and auto updates.
8.) Disable imessage and apple music.
There are 2 ways to have an IOS device supervised.
1.) Enrol device via apple DEP (Device Enrolment program) where the device is supervised OTA at the time of being enrolled into MobiControl
2.) If the device cannot be part of the DEP , it can be supervised via Apple configurator software: -
Device need to be physically connected to MAC computer with Apple configurator installed from Apple Inc.
Note: Any time you enable Supervision on an iOS device, the device will be erased.
How to Supervise an iOS Device with Apple Configurator 2:
1. Connect your iOS device to a Mac and launch Apple Configurator 2
2. From the "Action" menu at the top of your screen, select "Prepare"
3. Select "Manual" configuration
4. Choose "Do not enroll in MDM" for this manual process
5. Now you can check the box to Supervise your iOS device
6. You can enter organization information to display details about the institution that owns this device
7. Unless you have previously worked with Supervision Identities, you will simply "Generate a new supervision identity" to complete this process
8. You have the option to skip steps in the Setup Assistant
9. Click "Prepare" to erase the device and reboot as a Supervised device