Why do we lose our custom kiosk if it's updated on cellular?
What is your device brand and model?
What about the version and build numbers of your Android+ device agent
Did you put all configuration payloads in one profile?
If so, what configuration payloads were there?
Brand and model: Zebra TC56
Android version: 7.1.2
Agent version: 220.127.116.111
Remote control version: 18.104.22.168
Currently we do have about 182 devices using one profile that is having issues. I am working on breaking it down for a specific profile for each location (so around 10 each) but that is how the original admin set up our server. We have a profile with about 15 devices in it that is configured identically to the profile with 182 devices and it does the same thing (with losing the kiosk on cell).
Configurations are as follows:
-Device Control > 10 custom packages
-Disable Status Bar Expansion checked
-Custom kiosk html file
-Screen Timeout, Scan, Bluetooth settings
-Device admin password set
Please let me know if you require more information. Thank you!
I am not from Soti, nor do I have any Zebra TC56 device to do any test. So I can just say what I would try based on my best educated guess.
You do NOT need to separate the payload configuration or profiles by location (i.e. into some 18-20 different profiles). Instead, I would recommend you to put the authentication payload in a separate profile (one profile for all devices will do if they have the same device administrator password for all devices in all locations).
Let see if doing this alone can fix your problem.
Just to help narrow your search, we have over 2,000 TC56 on 7.1.2 using cellular and I have never had the issue you describe so I don't believe your issue is device related. Perhaps you have something in your kiosk code that is causing webview to die? Device level debug will probably be your friend here.
Thanks for the reply! I figure it must be something with how we have our kiosk set up, because I can't imagine everyone else managing more devices than us puts up with this. I will try the device debug check. Also thank you Raymond Chan for the suggestion about a separate profile for authentication, that is something I will try.
I'm not sure if this is the correct place but if anyone would be willing to look at our XML code for our kiosk I would welcome the help, but otherwise I'll try running some tests on a device here and look at the logs.
The idea of separating the authentication seems like a good idea, mainly because I'm betting the change in IP address + updating a profile with authentication settings included removes the lockdown.
However in my testing I'm finding that having 2 profiles applied to the device (1 with our lockdown, settings and packages, the other with authentication) doesn't seem to work. The device never shows the authentication as being installed and instead is stuck on "pending". If I have the authentication AND lockdown in the same profile, this defeats the purpose of having different profiles since if we're pushing out updates we'll need to update the kiosk as well. The kiosk code/config is currently under the Lockdown settings.
I will keep testing but figured I'd give an update. Thanks.
Can the profile containing only the authentication payload be successfully deployed onto the device if your device gets online via Wifi network instead of via cellular?
What options are configured in your "Settings Manager" payload ?
What are the active MDM API's reported in the configuration tab of your device agent?
Did you deploy any feature-control payload to your device? If so, what options were configured?
So I have found a solution though it still leaves me very confused.
I tried switching the kiosk to the default Soti kiosk and removing all our packages from one of my test profiles and it still lost the kiosk when applying via cellular.
So I created a brand new profile and essentially started copying all of our settings manually, gradually adding in packages, settings, and lockdown config testing the whole time. I was expecting to find a certain combination of settings that caused the removal of our lockdown, but was surprised to find that I could create an entire mirror of an existing profile as if I had cloned it, and it worked with no issues pushing updates over cellular.
At this point I am left to conclude that since our profiles originated from an older version of SOTI, it was simply a bug from an old version of SOTI or a strange database inconsistency. As I said with identical settings and kiosk, on a new profile, this issue does not occur. At this point I am planning on creating a brand new profile and then cloning THAT one to all our OU's and officially retiring the old profiles (even though they have the exact same settings, order of packages, etc.) I am very confident in saying that the 2 profiles are identical in configuration, because I had one up on either monitor and meticulously went through every tab and every setting. I checked each OU and they had the identical inherited settings.
Thanks for all the help, your troubleshooting questions helped me think through the process even though ultimately it turned out to be the profile itself.