Windows CE OS 6.0 Lockdown memory leak

Windows CE OS 6.0 Lockdown memory leak

I have been working with some older handhelds trying to get them into our production environment however I have run into a snag regarding the lockdown feature. The device is an Symbol/Motorola MC3190 Gun style device running CE OS 6, we currently run the same model in prod with OS 6.5 classic with the same lockdown screen, no issues whatsoever. The OS 6 device will install the lockdown but after the install the device is running extremely slow. If allowed to sit overnight the device crashes indicating it ran out of memory and asks to close applications. A cold reboot fixes the issue temporarily but will repeat the crash if allowed to stay on kiosk mode. We use the custom navigation bar options for our lockdown configuration. If I disable the custom lockdown config on the OS 6 devices it no longer crashes and performs very well even if left to sit for extended periods of time connected to the deployment server. I have validated this crash occurs on multiple devices running CE OS 6. I was hoping someone might be able to help provide insight into this issue.

Thanks

• 24 August 2018
  • SOTI MobiControl
  • 4 Answers
  • 0 Upvote
  • 1 Follower
    • 4 Answers
    • 0 Upvote
    • 1 Follower

4 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Ben Ragland | posted this 27 August 2018

Are you using TelnetCE?

I've seen a 100% CPU consumption by TelnetCE I think when the SOTI Lockdown is used.

Levi Gallion | posted this 28 August 2018

Yes we use TelnetCE. So it seems that some weird synergy is going on between the two applications on my particular model/OS. Are there any known fixes to this issue?

Support Staff | posted this 12 October 2018

Hi Levi, 

I would suggest trying this without Telnet on a test device to confirm if this happens only when you have that application on the device and lockdown active at the same time. 

Secondly, I would try to add the application into the lock down to see if that helps to prevent any conflicts that are arising as a result of the combination of applications.

Let me know the outcome of these tests and I will be able to provided you with next steps.

Regards,

Technical Support | SOTI Inc. |1.905.624.9828 | support@soti.net | www.soti.net |

Ben Ragland | posted this 16 October 2018

Levi, could you verify that your TelnetCE is on the latest version?

I have specifically seen high CPU consumption (memory leaks?) when running the OEM version of TelnetCE alongside the SOTI lockdown.

The whole issue could be stemming from you deploying TelnetCE upgrade/config via SOTI package, in which you may be installing it in a CAB format. I have seen that the CAB install can be very finicky with TelnetCE config files already existing, but even more critical is that your CAB will install and deliver the appropriate config files but not actually upgrade TelnetCE, leaving your device on a very old version of the software. 

TelnetCE would never upgrade for me unless I exited the lockdown prior to installing the profile/package from MC. I believe one of my colleagues circumvented this issue by utilizing a post-install script to execute the CAB versus the built-in wceload script in the package file advanced contents.

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback