Zebra MC3300: How can I manage a Zero-Touch OS update from Android 7 to Android 8?

Zebra MC3300: How can I manage a Zero-Touch OS update from Android 7 to Android 8?

I would like to Upgrade my enrolled devices with SOTI from Android 7.1.2 to Android 8.1.0 I downloaded the follow files. Full image version: 02-32-04.00 LifeGuard update14 version: ATLASDELTAUPDATE_02-32-04.00-OG-U14-STD

How can I manage a zero touch OS update? I need a Work Managed Device with Device Owner enrollment type, because the Remote Control and the default apps are necessary. I think with Android 8 I have to use Enterprise Agent, so if the upgrade done I don't know what gonna be hapen with original Android Classic OEM agent. I'm afraid the device will no longer be available via SOTI. My enrolled device, environment parameters: Zebra MC3300 Android 7.1.2 - FPUATLAS02-07-08.00-NG-U00-STD Enrollment type: Android + MC Web Console version: 15.2.4 MC agent version: GoogleMobicontrol1441_1064

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers

Order By:   Standard | Newest | Votes
Matt Dermody | posted this 05 March 2021

Android 8 on Zebra devices will force you to be under Android Enterprise management and I presume you'll want to use Fully Managed/ DO . If the devices are currently enrolled in SOTI under Android Plus (Device Administrator) then you will need to get them managed under DO first before upgrading them to Android 8, otherwise you will lose connection to them and they will end up in an unmanaged state requiring manual intervention. Typically I would historically have recommended a factory reset of the devices and a re-enrollment under AEDO. However, Zebra & SOTI have worked together and they do offer a path for DA->DO migration while keeping the devices enrolled. I have never undertaken this procedure before as I personally don't trust it (DO is supposed to happen from a Factory Default state by design), but it could potentially work in your situation. 

• Recreate all your Profiles and Configurations as Work Managed so they can apply to the AEDO managed devices after they are converted from Android+ (DA)
  • Use the DA->DO Migration Process to convert your devices to AEDO. 
  • Use a File Sync Rule to deliver the update zip, and a post sync install_system_update script to execute the .zip in order to get the devices upgraded to A8. 

https://www.soti.net/mc/help/v15.2/en/console/devices/managing/enrollment/androidplus/enterprise/migrate_zebra_ae.html?hl=migrate

Sandor Nemeth | posted this 09 March 2021

Dear Matt Dermody!

Thank you your help and infos.

Give us your feedback
Give us your feedback
Feedback